Risk Management Policy Quick Overview
The Risk Management Policy of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. (LTA) includes the provisions, which follow and shall apply to all sorority entities and all levels of sorority membership, including interested members.
Policy on Education
Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. shall annually instruct its members at all levels of membership in the Risk Management Policy of LTA. Additionally, all members and key volunteers shall annually receive a copy of the Risk Management Policy and/or Risk Management Policy Overview and a copy of the policy shall be available on the sorority website.
Policy on Alcohol and Drugs
- Distribution of alcohol: The possession, sale, use or consumption of ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, during a sorority event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter, or at any event an observer would associate with the sorority, must be in compliance with any and all applicable laws of the state, province, county, city and institution of higher education. No members, collectively or individually, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (i.e., those under legal drinking age).
- Common containers: Beer kegs, punch bowls, pitchers, or other common containers of alcohol are prohibited at any event sponsored or co-sponsored by the chapter.
- Purchasing alcohol: No chapter funds shall be used to purchase or to contribute to the purchase of alcoholic beverages. No chapter shall co-sponsor an event where alcohol is purchased by any of the sponsoring organizations. No chapter funds shall be given for any reason to any organization co-sponsoring an event where alcohol will be present. Checks or money orders are to be paid directly to a vendor to pay for food, decorations, entertainment or other non-alcoholic services. The purchase of alcoholic beverages shall not be undertaken or coordinated by any individual in the name of or on behalf of the chapter.
- Association with alcohol distributors, clubs, or taverns: No chapter shall sponsor or co-sponsor (including advertisement) an event with an alcohol distributor, club, or tavern where alcohol is given away, sold or otherwise provided to those present. The chapter may not lend its name or the name of the sorority to any merchandise or activity that identifies alcohol, a manufacturer of alcohol, a distributor of alcohol, or a club/tavern.
- Fundraising with alcohol: No chapter may co-sponsor an event with an alcohol distributor or tavern/club (tavern/club defined as an establishment generating more than half of annual gross sales from alcohol) at which alcohol is given away, sold, or otherwise provided to those present. This includes any event held in, at or near the property of a tavern/club as defined above for purposes of fundraising. However, a chapter may rent or use a room or reception hall for a closed party event held within the provisions of Lambda Theta Alpha’s Social Events Policy, including the use of a third party vendor and guest list.
- Note: An open party, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the sorority, without specific invitation, where alcohol is present, is forbidden. The organization is encouraged to host closed parties in compliance with the Social Events Policy (SEP) (Refer to Appendix 4).
- Note: This policy doesn’t exclude hosting events at venues where it’s open to the public and serves alcohol, but instead states that you cannot host an event where more than half of the annual gross sales are from alcohol purchases. For example, selling tickets to a sporting event where the venue’s revenue mostly comes from ticket and merchandise sales than it does from the sale of alcohol.
- Serving alcohol: A cash bar is the only permissible method of alcohol service. Alcohol service should end at least one hour before the scheduled end of the event. The third-party vendor or caterer must provide age verification and must not serve alcohol to members or guests that are under the legal drinking age. It is strongly recommended third party vendors or caterers provide the chapter with a certificate of liquor, general liability and workers’ compensation insurance.
- Serving non-alcoholic beverages and food: Non-alcoholic beverages should be readily available at a location away from a bar area but not at a distance that represents an incontinence or creates obstacle. Water should not be the only available non-alcoholic beverage. Cheese, pizza, bread, non-salty foods and foods high in protein are good food choices for social events where alcohol is served because they may aid in the absorption of alcohol.
- Recruitment Events: All recruitment activities associated with any Chapter or Area will be non-alcoholic. No recruitment activities associated with any Chapter may be held at or in conjunction with a tavern/club or alcohol distributor as defined in this policy.
- Drinking in the presence of interested ladies: Members of Lambda Theta Alpha shall not consume alcohol in the presence of interested members.
- Interested Ladies Events: Parties and events where alcoholic beverages will be served which are hosted by the Interested Ladies of Lambda Theta Alpha are forbidden.
- Drinking Games: No member, interest member, nor orientee shall permit, tolerate, encourage, or participate in "drinking games.” The definition of drinking games includes but is not limited to the consumption of shots of alcohol, liquor or alcoholic beverages, the practice of consuming shots equating to one’s age, “beer pong,” “century club,” “dares” or any other activity involving the consumption of alcohol which involves duress or encouragement related to the consumption of alcohol.
- Illegal Drugs or Controlled Substances: The possession, sale or use of any illegal drugs or controlled substances during a sorority event or at any event that an observer would associate with the sorority is strictly prohibited.
- Non-alcoholic events: All policies under the SEP apply for any social gathering, including outside of campus, and those that do not include alcohol.
- Disciplinary Actions: Disciplinary actions will be taken against any constituency that violates this policy. Any constituency who proceeds to have an event without having met all the requirements will face disciplinary action and possible suspension of constituency and/or chapter activities, including but not limited to programming, fundraising, orientation, etc. All proceeds from any event which violates any of the above mentioned policies must be forwarded immediately to the Board of Directors. Such proceeds will be used to establish the Lambda Theta Alpha Legal Defense Fund.
Policy on Hazing
No chapter, interest group, student, or alumnus shall conduct nor condone hazing activities. Hazing activities for the sorority are defined as:
Any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce or that causes mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any other such activities carried on outside or inside of the confines of the chapter house; kidnappings, whether by pledges, associate/new members or active members; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other such activities that are not consistent with academic achievement, fraternal law, ritual or policy, or the regulations and policies of the educational institution, or applicable state law. Lambda Theta Alpha believes in providing constructive, educational, and inspirational programs for orientees, associate/new members or active members. Lambda Theta Alpha is opposed to any form of hazing including any activities, which do not contribute to the positive development and welfare of orientees. Lambda Theta Alpha believes that true Sisterhood is nurtured in an atmosphere of social and moral responsibility, respect for authority and loyalty to the principles of higher education.
Policy on Sexual Abuse and Harassment
Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. will not tolerate or condone any form of sexist or sexually abusive behavior on the part of its members, whether physical, mental or emotional. This is to include any actions that are demeaning to women or men, ranging from but not limited to verbal and/or nonverbal harassment to sexual assault by individuals or members acting together.
Policy on Housing
No Chapter, Area, Region or members of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. shall associate a residence of living in relation to Lambda Theta Alpha. The sorority does not allow “LTA houses,” “LTA apartments,” etc.
Policy on Fire, Health, and Safety
- All chapter events should meet all local fire and health codes and standards.
- All chapters should post or keep common phones numbers and emergency numbers for fire, police and ambulance and should be aware of all evacuation routes for any frequently used locations used by the chapter.
- All chapters should comply with engineering recommendations as reported by the insurance company or municipal authorities.
- The possession and/or use of firearms or explosive devices of any kind within the confines and premises of the chapter events are expressly forbidden.
- Candles or other incendiary devices should not be used in chapter events except under controlled circumstances.